About the Monitoring and Enhancing the Enabling Environment for Civil Society Project (2018-2020)
Monitoring and Enhancing the Enabling Environment for Civil Society Project, financed by the European Union, is implemented by the Third Sector Foundation of Turkey (TUSEV). The project, which will continue until March 2020, aims to contribute to the enhancement of an enabling legal and fiscal environment for civil society and to increase civil society organizations’ (CSO) participation in policy and decision-making processes. The project also aims to strengthen capacities of CSOs and public institutions on international standards for enabling legal and financial environment and participation in policy and decision-making processes.
Within the scope of the project;
- Informative content on the legal framework regarding CSOs will be prepared,
- Information and data on enabling environment for civil society will be generated,
- A pool of lawyers working on freedom of association will be formed,
- An advocacy agenda for reform on enabling environment will be created,
- Resources and tools on CSO participation and public sector-CSO cooperation will be developed,
- Activities on implementing and monitoring the Code of Conduct on Public Sector-Civil Society Cooperation will be carried out,
- Standards and mechanisms for public funding to CSOs will be developed.
About the Strengthening Civil Society Development and Civil Society Public Sector Dialogue in Turkey Project (2012-2015)
Strengthening Civil Society Development and Civil Society Public Sector Dialogue in Turkey, financed by the European Union and the Republic of Turkey, was implemented by Third Sector Foundation of Turkey (TUSEV), Civil Society Development Center (STGM) and Yasama Dair Foundation (YADA) between June 2012 and November 2015. The overall objective of the project was to have strong democratic institutions and civil society promoting pluralism and the values of European integration in Turkey. TUSEV carried out activities concerning enabling legal framework and civil society-public sector cooperation.
The activities of the project included;
- Formulation, adoption and implementation of a Code of Conduct for Civil Society – Public Sector Relations based on agreed principles,
- Identifying legal barriers that prevent active civil society participation and developing draft amendment proposals for improvement,
- Organizing an international conference where Civil Society – Public Sector relations can be discussed within a global framework,
- Developing a White Paper which will lead Civil Society – Public Sector dialogue to be included in the institutional structures of public institutions,
- Developing a monitoring methodology for Civil Society – Public Sector dialogue in an aim of improving capacity of civil society organizations for better civil dialogue and participation
Third Sector Foundation of Turkey was established in 1993 by leading foundations and associations of Turkey with the objective of strengthening the legal, fiscal and operational infrastructure of civil society organizations.
For over two decades TUSEV has been working to crate a more enabling environment for civil society. With a growing network of 100 members, TUSEV is committed to provide solutions to common and emerging problems of civil society.
With the vision of a stronger civil society in Turkey, TUSEV works under four main program areas and undertakes acitivities that aim to;
- Establish an enabling and supportive legal and fiscal framework for CSOs,
- Encourage strategic and effective philanthropy and giving,
- Facilitate dialogue and cooperation between the public sector, private sector and civil society,
- Promote the recognition of Turkish civil society abroad and encourage collaborations at the international level,
- Create resources and raise awareness through research on civil society.